How to Apply?
Thanks go out to all our employees, coaches, and parent volunteers, drivers, chaperones and volunteers in all activities and athletics! Character and fair play are learned through sports and the various clubs and activities.It is your interaction with our students that helps to make a difference in many, many young lives.
We are thankful for all you do!
For any coaching or volunteering at a high school, you must first APPLY DIRECTLY AT THE SCHOOL SITE (listing to your right)! The school principal must sign your completed packet first, and he/she will send it to the District Office for the official approvals and authorization. You will then be further contacted by a Personnel Department Technician to come-in and complete the clearances required for the particular position. Do NOT try to obtain fingerprint or drug test clearances on your own forms or from other agencies as we won't be able to accept them.
For security of all our students, please note, YOU ARE NOT cleared to be at a school in any capacity until you receive authorization FROM THE DISTRICT OFFICE. All fingerprinting, drug testing, board approvals and applicable clearance via the ASCC takes some time to process through the state. If you have been asked to coach or volunteer, please DO NOT DELAY in submitting your packet to the school site!
- FINGERPRINTING: After a recommendation for any type of volunteering or any recommendation for coaching employment is made, all volunteers AND employment candidates are required to submit to fingerprint testing. You will be required to pay for the service. The AVUHSD Personnel Office will submit the fingerprints to the California Department of Justice and/or Federal Bureau of Investigation for analysis*. The present rates are $32 for DOJ only, OR $49 DOJ and FBI. The payment is NON-REFUNDABLE regardless of clearance status. *FBI: Any candidate must submit to FBI if you have resided outside the state of California for more than one year OR if it is required for the position you are processing for. Do not proceed unless you have been directed to do so by the Personnel Office. The Personnel Office technician will set an appointment with you to have your fingerprints recorded via "Livescan". This process requires prior authorization with specific and proper forms. Do not proceed on your own unless you have been directed to do so by the Personnel Office. All offers of volunteering and/or coaching are contingent upon successful clearance as required by California law. We are not allowed by state and federal laws to accept clearances you have obtained on your own or from other agencies.
- DRUG TESTING: Drug testing is also required for ANY COACHING, ADVISOR or VOLUNTEER POSITION. The technician will also arrange an appointment for the employment candidate to have a drug screen. You will be required to pay for this service. The present fee is $46. The fee is NON-refundable regardless of clearance status. This also requires prior authorization and proper forms. Do not proceed until directed by the personnel office technician.
- ACTIVITIES SUPERVISOR CERTIFICATE: PAID COACHES/ADVISORS that do not already hold a teaching credential will be required to obtain the California State Activities Supervisor Clearance Certificate (ASCC). The fingerprint non-refundable fees are $49 for this service (due during finger printing) AND then another $72 must be paid to the state via their website. You must do the online state application WITHIN 30 days of having your fingerprints rolled. The personnel office technician will advise the entire process to you and set appointments as necessary for your livescan appointment with the proper forms and state information.
- CPR/FIRST AID: Any coach, must obtain and submit proof of CPR/FIRST AID certification. The school site secretary will give you information on how to complete this training.
- CIF AND CONCUSSION TRAINING: Any coach, must obtain and submit proof of CIF Training AND Concussion Training. The school site secretary you apply to will give you information on how to complete these training. Depending on the type of coaching, there may be additional state and regional requirements. Talk to the Athletics Secretary at your school site! Aside from being in violation of District Regulations, please keep in mind that failure to obtain all certificates may make your team ineligible and can negate wins per the state and regional athletic association's rules!
- TB TEST: Anyone working around children at a school must provide evidence of freedom from tuberculosis. You may obtain tests for free from the county or from your own medical provider. Click here for further information regarding TB Tests.
- DRIVER: NO ONE is authorized to drive high school students unless you have been approved by the District Office. Current faculty and staff must also be pre-approved for driving. You may request the Driver Application Form from your school site secretary. The form will list the necessary items you must supply (such as a particular DMV printout, valid California Driver License, Insurance information, etc ) which you will submit to your school site secretary. The secretary will send your paperwork to the District Office for further processing.
Please note, AVUHSD does not make any money nor profit. We do NOT make ANY earnings from the fees you pay! The rates listed are non-refundable regardless of clearance status as they are charged and determined by the state or medical agency, and are subject to change. We can accept money orders only and the technician will advise you the correct amount to obtain on the money order. (For security purposes we do NOT accept cash, no personal checks, no private company checks, no atm/debit, no credit cards ). If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact a Personnel Services Office technician. We look forward to speaking with you!